Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

yesterdays marathon = todays lessons.

yep i ended up rocking into adelaide 24 hours before the start of the 2008 adelaide marathon. it was a shock from the last 3 months of tropical heat and humidity to be greeted with nice cold rain and wind..lol!

anyways, i lasted only about 27km at 4;30 pace and my right hip abductor shouted "we can limp to the finish line or you can stop right now and remain injury free"

my average heart rate was only 161. i was just cruz'n. expecting to unload at the 30km mark and go for gold. but the only thing i was unloading was the lack of training i thought i could get away with.

durianrider talked the talk, but couldnt walk the walk! lol!

i gotta learn to take my own advice sometimes..and my advice to myself regarding marathon running is 'more miles in training, means more smiles in racing..

this year ive done a 16km road run that was up and down a mountain. and the longest run i did on flat tarmac was 10km. 10 days before yesterday..

other than plain lack of training, i had everything organised. i felt carbed to go the distance, hydrated, warm enough, got there on time, mentally focused and amped up, correct fitting shoes and socks, shorts and singlet and running cap. every detail down to my heart rate monitor belt feeling perfect...but none of it could make up for the fact that my cycling legs had not been provided with sufficient road running impact to be able to handle the pace i desired to run at..

so at least i got 27km of solid running in my legs yesterday. even if i had to walk up to this keyboard with my tail between my legs..

thanks for all the support you crew provided. i will be back to have another sub 3 hr marathon crack.._________________

Comments:
Hey Harls, if it stopped you from moving then it must have been bad. I'm sorry you didn't finish the race but admire your post and the way you are looking at it.

Pure inspiration.

xoxo
 
very good choice to stop...that takes a strong person to put the ego aside and truly listen to the body...your injury will heal sooo fast now. Many people would keep going just to finish and then be hating life for months.
long run you did though! 27ks and no joke...thats 18 miles!!! you went well over halfmarathon....
I am eatin durian for you in MEDAN Harley...DC
 
Undertraining has snagged the best of me too as you well know. Or maybe it's that one week before the event when I typically freak out and decide to do one last epic long distance well above a reasonable pace that knocks me out before the race ever starts. Knarley Harley! How's that hip healing up? Keep it up bro, you're an inspiration to so many you know!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?